Monday, March 17, 2008

Vancouver Marathon Training - Week 11

I'm growing concerned. For some reason I'm struggling to complete my long runs lately. And - cue the violins - my knees and ankles have been more achy and creaky than usual. Am I just feeling sorry for myself or is there legitimate reason for concern? I have to start taking this marathon training way more seriously if I want to avoid complete and utter humiliation on May 4th. So, the new strategy for keeping track is GREEN text denotes workouts I’m SUPPOSED to do and RED denotes actual and completed sessions. I’m also switching from Hal Higdon’s Novice II Marathon Training Program to his Novice I program. Yes, I’ve officially demoted myself. Let’s hope this works. Monday- Rest As per the program I rested today. I never seem to miss the rest days. OOOhhh, almost forgot - I picked up a new pair of slick Mizunos at the Running Room. Can't wait to try them. I’m hoping the new shoes solve EVERYTHING. Tuesday- 8K As usual, I showed up at the Tuesday night Sun Run clinic. I am happy to say the Learn to Run 10K group is now doing 10 minutes running / 1 minute walking 4 times for a total of 40 minutes running. I believe we covered about 6.5K. Wednesday- 13K Did not complete. Today was one of those days when I should have looked at my own little list of Running Tips (see Week 4). I was all dressed to go for a run right after work from my office and realized all I had was a T-shirt. I briefly considered being tough and running outside with bare arms but thankfully came to my senses. No run today. Thursday-8K 13K Run Home from Work - CHECK! Yes - today I did the run I meant to do yesterday. Which means I'll have to do today's run tomorrow...and so on...Anyways, it was a good run and I felt strong and dressed accordingly for the weather, including warm hat and gloves. Friday- Rest As usual, no problem sticking to the plan today. Saturday-29K Did not complete. Today instead of going for a run what did I do? I can't remember. What's wrong with me? Sunday - Cross-Training 29K attempted, 16K completed. Gallant effort but again I did not factor in the temperature and wind chill. I think all the blooming flowers and sprouting leaves are tricking me into thinking it's getting warmer. It's not. Note for next year: 6C with an Arctic wind blowing is NOT warm enough to wear a short-sleeved T-shirt, light running jacket, and mid-calf length yoga pants. Even if it is March. For next time: a warm woolly hat that covers my ears, gloves, and a long sleeved T-shirt under my jacket. I also need to switch back to drinking power drinks like Gatorade on these long runs. Water and fruit chews just aren't cutting it. I definitely bonked around the half-way mark and had to call for a rescue. Week 11 Summary: Total KM Required: 58K Total KM Completed: 35.5K Yikes.

No comments: