Monday, March 10, 2008

Vancouver Marathon Training - Week 10 - RACE WEEK!!

OK, I'll admit it...this week was definitely my least compliant week of running so far. I don't plan to let it happen again. BUT, in my own defense, there was a lot of cross-training action going on and I DID set a PR in my first race of the year....

Monday - Cross-Training (FULL DAY of Downhilll Skiing)

This was my 3rd day of skiing in a row, the most I can remember doing in 10 years! No pain, just generalized muscle soreness. And although there were a few "situations", nobody broke or sprained anything this time.

Tuesday - Run Clinic 10 min. run/1 min. walk x 3 - Approx. 7K
Ugh. Was not sure I'd be able to do it, and hung back with the slower runners. But in the end the little bit of running was probably good to do and the legs felt a lot looser afterwards.

Wednesday - Rest
Thank GOD.

Thursday - approx 6K (while attempting 20K)
I went out with the full intention of doing a big 20K loop around downtown, a bit of Stanley Park, and over 2 bridges. But about 20 minutes in I realized I didn't time my meals right and I was fading fast. So I stuffed two packages of energy chews into my mouth and waited for a miracle.
Needless to say, it was too little too late and thankfully I stumbled across a super cute seafood stand. A couple of oyster tacos and an iced tea later and I was feeling just fine and on my way home to a hot shower.

Friday - Pre-Race Rest Day 1
2 days of rest before a race day is my personal rule.

Saturday - Pre-Race Rest Day 2
Headed over to Vancouver Island on the ferry.

Sunday - 5K RACE + approx. 20K bike ride with HILLS (big ones)

I did set a P.R. of 26:21, though I'm sure I can do better. The morning of the race I woke up with some pretty serious allergy issues from my dad's three cats and a bit of asthma. I actually considered not showing up at all because I felt a bit out of sorts....

Anyway, despite huffing and puffing the whole way through I did find it in myself to sprint at the end and was pretty happy with the end result. I think 25 minutes in my next 5K is do-able...

Dad seemed to enjoy the whole atmosphere and I have to say the race was well organized and nicely situated.

No comments: