Monday, February 25, 2008

Vancouver Marathon Training - Week 8

I felt like I kind of turned a corner this week after increasing my weekly mileage to 59 km (37 mi) /week. But then I checked my math and realized it was actually 47 KM (29 mi). Oh well, still not bad. On the negative side, I'm really annoyed at another week of long hours at the office. If they didn't pay me I wouldn't go. Anyway, despite my employer doing everything possible to derail my training I came through and got all my runs in. So poo on them! Also, I entered the 2008 ING NYC Marathon lottery today which is super exciting. I didn't get in last year so I know I should come up with a Plan B. Last year's Plan B was awesome. I went to Amsterdam and combined the marathon with a nice 10 day Netherlands extravaganza. So, for my backup fall marathon I am considering (in order) Berlin, Honolulu, Marine Corps (Washington, DC), Chicago, or Philadelphia. Anyone else out there running one of those? Since I'm super-anal and am in 'planning ahead mode' this week I also booked a B & B in Sechelt for the April Fool's Run Half Marathon in Gibsons, BC - which is up the Sunshine Coast and only accessible by Ferry. Mental Note: I really need a more portable, skinny digital camera so I can document what I see along the way. There have been some priceless photo ops. It would be nice to have more pics up here I think. Monday-Rest Tuesday-6K Wednesday-6K Thursday-Rest Meant to go today but didn't for a number of reasons which I won't bore you with. Friday-11K - 1:01 The extra day of rest helped a lot. The legs felt springy and fresh and I was able to keep a steady pace. Saturday-Rest Went into the office today :( Needless to say, felt sorry for myself . But I got to see the Canucks beat the crap out of the Red Wings at GM Place later in the evening so that almost made up for it. I also got carded which was awesome. I'm 34! Sunday - 24K - 2:47:57 Gorgeous-sunny-warm spring-like afternoon run. I THOUGHT I'd avoid some of the stroller-pushing crowd by running over the Burrard Bridge to UBC and back instead of going the Stanley Park way. But no. There were still tons of those super annoying double-wide things carrying 5-year olds (yes, this is a pet peeve of mine). WTF? One of these days your kid is going to have to walk and you'll wonder why his underdeveloped legs won't carry his weight. I'd like to stop and rant - but I have places to go so I just give them the stink eye as I sqeeze by on the 3 inches of free space left. I know I sound shrill right now, but I did enjoy my run for the most part, especially the running in short sleeves. AND it was a special treat to have my sister, TM, meet me to run the last 30 minutes. It's great at the end of a long run to have the distraction of looking for someone and then getting to chat as you finish. I have been making my habit to run as fast as possible the last 100 or so metres and I think I am getting better at it. I hope to put this trick to practice when I run my first race of the year on March 9th...Look out! Haha!

No comments: