Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Marathon Recovery - Week 2

So I'm LOOSELY following Hal Higdon's Post-Marathon training program for Novice Runners with CONSIDERABLE modifications. I have had some difficulty with my right knee following May 4th's marathon effort, so I'm listening to my body and taking extra precautions. I have been going to the local rec center to do some much-needed weight training and cross-training on the bike, which has been good. I also started myself on a Glucosamine with Chondroitin regime, which I've read might help with my joint issues....And of course I've also been icing daily and taking hot baths in an epsom salt solution. Sunday I went for a 30 minute run with NO pain, which was quite a breakthrough. It was a nice, easy jog on a path in the woods (accompanied by my sister who was happy to provide bear protection). Then again on Monday (which was a holiday in Canada) I went on another trail run - which was 20 minutes of steep uphill running at a slow pace followed by about 18 minutes downhill (both directions interspersed with some walk breaks). My Signif Oth, IB, joined me and was QUITE impressive in his uphill running ability! I think he might actually KICK MY A$$ at his first 5K race on June 13th!

2 comments:

jeannie said...

Although i am disappointed you won't be running in the marathon in NYC in the, I'll be cheering you on from a distant curbside at all your races! Keep up the good work and blog entries!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your recovery workout schedule looks more strenuous than my normal running schedule. And I'm not even in post-race mode. I think I should ramp things up before that 5K. --S.