In recent weeks, especially during the month of July, I did not feel like myself at all. Despite my best intentions I could not, for the life of me, stick to my training schedule. Runs that were easy only a short time before seemed impossible. Running at anything faster than a 10:00/mile pace seemed outrageously hard. After a few days like this I started to take notice of a whole cluster of "symptoms", including:
1. Weakness (i.e. muscles felt tired, weak, powerless)
2. Tiredness (needing to take lots and lots of naps)
3. Dizziness (only on a couple of occasions, but still, it's not normal!)
7.Shortness of breath (especially during workouts, but also climbing hills or stairs)
8. Trouble concentrating ("What was I going just doing?")
9. Loss of endurance (not feeling like I could finish a workout that was easy a couple of weeks prior)
10. High exercise heart rate (I mean, like running at a 13:00/mile pace with a HR of 153 bpm!)
13. Loss of interest in exercise (Do I HAVE to!?)
14. Poor appetite (this is SOOOO not normal for me!!)
A visit to my doctor, and a blood test or two later, and there you have it: I was iron deficient! Why, you might ask, would iron deficiency be such a big deal for a runner like me?
So far so good, I've been taking the iron for a few weeks now and am feeling way more like myself. Hopefuly my NEXT race will be a raging success! No more bad race reports!!!